Friday 10 October 2014

Some people just don't get it.

It has become a bit of a tradition that after swimming we get chips on the way home. The problem is with habit is it's difficult to break, but part of me does not care because I have a belief that you need to be naughty sometimes, otherwise you may go crazy!


(This is not last nights chips, but chips in a cone, as my southern fairy boy had never before heard of chips in a cone, so I took this photo for him)

Thinking about this brought back a memory of a time when I received a verbal attack in regards to my eating habits.

I would just like to point out before I begin that I am by no means a saint when it comes to my diet, I used to be a lot stricter when in training and I know I need to be now, but at the moment I am between accommodation and when you don't have your own kitchen, or your own space, it is difficult to keep on top of things.

Anyway... back to my story.
I was off to a friends house for wine, takeout and girly chats. Knowing what I know about food, I recognise that there is never a true healthy option when it comes to takeaway, but there are some choices which are healthier than others.

I had opted for prawns in oyster sauce, knowing this was a lesser of all the other evils presented to me and another friend had gone for crispy chilli beef; probably the most unhealthy thing on the menu.

I was, at that time, supposed to be training hard for the Silverstone half, so that fact that I was even having takeaway and wine made me a big cheater indeed, but a good time with old friends is sometimes worth missing a days training for... you gots to have a life you know.

My friend wanted me to have half of the crispy chilli beef so that she could have half of mine, I said that I did not want any, but she was welcome to some of mine... the attack began. I'm not just talking about a few words, this went on for about 15 minutes, with me partly wondering what on earth was going on and why all of a sudden I was being shouted at, and my other friend sat looking unbelievably uncomfortable.

To put it in some sort of context, so that you understand my confusion, I was being made out to be a sufferer of anorexia, who was far too obsessed with fitness and needed an intervention from mental health services... as I was sat eating a takeaway, drinking wine and had decided to cancel my run the following day so that I could have an evening with the girls.

As I was eating my chips last night, this memory came back and it made me smile. I have not spoken to the girl in question since so maybe I will drop her a text today.

It just made me think though, some people just don't get it. Just because I train hard for events and try to pick healthier options from time to time, this does not make me crazy, it does not mean I have an eating disorder. What it does mean is that I have found something in life that I enjoy, running makes me happier that I have ever been, it fills me up and gives me a sense of feeling free.

I suppose however, that if fitness is not something which you enjoy, not something which makes you happy, then you will never get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment