Thursday 9 October 2014

Hello! Is it a crazy runner you're looking for?

Hi all and welcome to the My Marathon My Way blog.


First of all I thought I best give a little back story as to why I have decided to do a blog in the run up to the Manchester Marathon, which I have entered... eeek!

There are a couple of reasons, so here is the first;
My beautiful boy (Pete) who is also entered in the Grim Challenge (as am I, but we will come to his training efforts later) has a big brother (Nicolas). Nick has a lady too, she be named Steph (with me so far).

When I first met Pete, he told me all about Steph, as she was very poorly at the time. Steph had Lymphoma, which is a group of blood cell tumours that develop from lymphocytes. I am not even going to attempt to make out like I understand it all, so here is a link...


Through stem cell replacement Steph is now in remission and following her experience has decided to set up a charity to help people like her, here is another link...


Anyway... she needs to raise money in order to get the charity registered, I cannot set up a just giving page until the charity does become registered. So instead I will raise awareness by completing this blog, hopefully someone reading this may decide that they want to help the cause and help to get the charity registered. If that is you then please make contact, everything helps.

On to my second reason;
I have been running for many years, I may not be the fastest runner, but I get there in the end. In October 2013 I injured my left knee during Tough Mudder by dropping down from a 12ft wall, without pushing myself away, which meant that when I hit the ground, my knees naturally bent. The full force of my weight dropping from such a height, caused my knees to smash into the wall... grim right? This happened 6 miles in and me being me, I continued and finished the full 13 mile obstacle course. I went to see the nurse and she said it seemed to be ok and the fact that my knee had swelled to twice its size was just fluid build up.


Fast forward to March 2014, I was entered into the Silverstone half marathon, but I had a lot going on at this point in time, Pete was away in Sweden, I had started a new job and I had moved south. Needless to say that my motivation to train was fading and I did not put the effort in that I needed to; thinking that if I had done it before, I could do it again.
9 miles in I started to get a searing pain in my left knee, but that's right me being me I completed the race (are you starting to see a pattern in my behaviour?) I was running for Macmillan Cancer Research, there was no way that I was not completing. Following the Silverstone half, I could not walk properly, or without pain for almost 3 months, I certainly was not running anywhere!


I am now running again, no signs of any injuries at the moment and this time I will be doing it the right way.

I want to do this blog as a example of the differences that can be made if you train right and you train hard, and also to highlight to those making donations that its not just a race you are sponsoring, its the hours of training that goes into it too.

So...

I am entered into the Grim Challenge, here is a link...


and the Manchester Marathon, here is yet another link...


and there is the possibility of climbing Mt Kilimanjaro later in the year, but this is to be confirmed.

I will update regular on my progress, on Pete's (yet to get started) progress and on Steph's progress in setting up the charity.

Thank you for taking the time to get involved and read/follow my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment