Sunday 26 October 2014

Aaaarrrggh! The dreaded stitch!

Todays run was good in terms of feeling full of energy.


 However, what made it difficult was that throughout the run I got about 5 separate stitches. It's strange because I have not had a stitch in a long time and I had believed that I had left enough time following my breakfast... maybe not eh?

All I remember about stitches, from my Physical Education teacher at school, was that you inhale a deep breath slowly through your nose and then exhale slowly out of your mouth.

With little knowledge I decided to have a look online and it would seem that there is no definitive answer when it comes to what stitches are or why we get them. I did find, through all the variations of advice, that a breathing technique is key. The advice is that you are to exhale as the opposite foot to the side your stitch is on land on the floor. So... if your stitch is on your right side, exhale as you left foot lands.

The other bit of advice that seems to pop up on most sites is to do with food. Because most days I run very early in the morning, I generally don't eat before I run, but weekends are different, I do my distance run so make sure I eat before hand. I do however, feel that having scrambled egg on toast, then timing it with 3 episodes of Adventure Time is probably not the best way to do it 😊.

Well, you live and learn I suppose! Now for Sunday bumming about day!

No comments:

Post a Comment