Thursday 29 January 2015

Groundhog Day!

I am pretty sure that most of you will have seen this movie. You know, the one where Bill Murray's character lives the same day over and over, until he gets Andie MacDowell's character to fall in love with him.


That's what life feels like at the moment, at least for the now anyway. As I have mentioned before, my boy has gone to Sweden to work at Below Zero Ice Driving. Which sounds fun if you are a participant out for the day, getting to drive Porsche 911's round on a frozen lake. However, is apparently mind numbingly boring if you are part of the support team, working 11hour days, not getting a day off and all you see is the same frozen lake every day. 


As the boy is living some kind of Groundhog Day out in Sweden, I am living a variation of my own crazy 'run, work, sleep, work, gym, sleep, run, work, sleep' and so on. I have a training plan for my marathon which I intend to stick to, but I don't know whether doing the same routine week in and week out is having an affect on me and my training is becoming stagnated as a result, or like poor Bill I am destined to feel like I am living a Groundhog Day, feeling as if I am in some kind of mental stasis, until the boy gets home.

I think the question is then; when you have no choice but to stick to a rigorous training plan, because you are preparing for a marathon, what can I do to not make it feel like repetition?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know your exact routines for your marathon and the related intenseness but i would recommend to add some high intense intervals. This will add extra stimulation and especially fun. Steady stimulation leads to less adaption and decreases the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the advice, I might see if I can add this in at the gym and maybe some hill training on my shorter runs. I am training for my first marathon, I love running, but starting to feel apprehensive about my weekend distance run. Normally fine once I am out and doing it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe you should try some new routes and ask a friend to accompany you by bike. But long distance runs are usually not the most exciting ones.

      Delete