Wednesday 11 February 2015

Birthday running!

Saturday I turned 32. I have to say that I feel a little old, and before you say, '32 is not that old!' It's already been said to me. Feeling old is not about a number, it's about a feeling surely?

Obviously it's not overly true, I don't really feel that old, maybe just a little run down as I still have a little of the snivels following my cold last week.

It was a different weekend. I was due to return home to Manchester, but was given the opportunity to spend time with my favourite 3yr old, who I had not seen for 4 weeks, whilst her daddy has been away. It was really lovely, she told me that she missed me lots, gave me lots of squeezes and we played games.


In terms of my training, last week was very reduced due to feeling too unwell to train properly. Mid week I managed a 5k run and 2 x trips to the gym to do strengthening. On Sunday I planned to do a 20k run, but I did something that I have never done before... I bailed on a run!

As mentioned in earlier posts I have had knee problems in the past. I have purposely worked my route to go out of town, back in again, back out again. This way I know that if something happens whilst out running, I am never too far from home.

This can have negative affects on motivation however, as sometimes the thought of turning left instead of turning right pops into your head and it's a difficult one to shake, but I always manage to shake it.

Sunday was different, Sunday I was just not there mentally. Usually I can switch off to the ache in my legs, sometimes I secretly enjoy it. Not Sunday though! For some reason my head was just full of negativity and it got to the point where I just thought, 'sod it!' Then I stopped!

This is normally something which I would dwell on, over anaylising what happened, over and over, trying to rationalise it. I didn't though, because I have started to realise that training for a marathon is tough, both physically and mentally. The fact that I manage to get out every weekend and do a distance run is amazing in itself. From now on, I will listen to how I am feeling and even congratulate myself on the days I don't succeed. I have never done a marathon before and the way I see it, at least I am trying! 


No comments:

Post a Comment