Tuesday 16 December 2014

Help! The motivation has disappeared!

I have a confession to make; since the Grim Challenge, just over a week ago, I have only ran twice. I am really struggling with my motivation and the worst thing is that I barely care. Normally if I am unable to go running I am an absolute nightmare, it's all I want to do and all I can think about. At the moment though this is the complete opposite and I don't know why, which is not good when training for a marathon! I did however drag myself out of bed this morning for a run and whilst running spent some time mulling the possible reasons over in my head...

Recovery from illness -
A few weeks ago I came down with a sinus infection, it really took me out, but being far too busy at work I was unable to take time out. I think this marked the start. Motivation once you have it is great, but it's easy to lose and although (so I have been told) it takes about two weeks to get it back, it's getting it back that's hard.

Stress -
I have had a lot going on recently. My place of work has lost it's contract and staff are getting anxious about the take over. As a manager you have to remain professional and supportive, even though you have your own concerns. I have had University every Saturday, which has taken it's toll, but luckily I had my last class this weekend and I have passed my course. In addition to this I am making steps towards a career change and this has been hard work too.

Just to busy -
Let's face it, it's the run up to Christmas, there is just too much going on to try to fit training in on top. This weekend, rather than do my weekend distance run, I went to Glasgow and that marked the end of a week which also included the staff night out. The weekend ahead will see a return to Manchester for me, in order to see family and friends. Then it's Christmas and spending quality time with the boy before he goes to Sweden!

The weather -
This is a big one, it's bloody cold outside! The last thing I want to do, when my motivation is already waining, is stick my little toes outside of the duvet!

Anyway... it's not all bad, I have had fun this week. Rather than just relay all the negative, I will fill you in on the positive too. This week I went to see the new Hunger Games film with a friend from work and went on the staff night out (although my secret Santa hasn't turned up yet). The staff night was a good laugh and I got to dress up, which is rare for me, I'm normally in work clothes or gym gear.



Then on Saturday night in Glasgow we went to see Machine Head at the Academy!!!



So, I probably shouldn't grumble too much, life is not all bad.

I just need to come up with a way to get me back on track with my running and escape my winter blues!

No comments:

Post a Comment